If Wednesday traffic has been extra sticky by your experience, well it is about to get more challenging this coming Wednesday as the City of Makati will shut down portions of several roads as part of the Metro Manila Shake Drill and 2nd Quarter National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill, beginning at 9:00AM on June 22.
The Makati Public Safety Department will deploy traffic personnel to assist motorists in seeking alternate routes during that day various portions of roads in the city will used as venues for the command post, medical station and evacuees holding area.
Architect Elmer Cabrera, OIC of the Makati Public Safety Department has released a list of roads that will be affected by the drills:
- Closed - J.P. Rizal right lane (Manila-bound) from E. Zobel Street to Antipolo Street from 8:30AM to 12NN
- Open – J.P. Rizal left lane of the same section will be open to ONE-WAY traffic only, Manila-bound.
- Closed – Cardona St. from J.P. Rizal to Osmeña from 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Closed – Angono St. from J.P. Rizal to Osmeña from 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Closed – Hormiga Street from Angono to Cardona from 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Closed – F. Zobel Street from J.P. Rizal to Osmeña starting 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Morong Street starting 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Zenaida Street starting 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Ma. Aurora Street starting 8:30AM to 12:00NN
- Buencamino Street starting 8:30AM to 12:00NN
Vehicles bound for EDSA from Manila may use Antipolo Street, then take a right to Osmeña Street before another right turn to E. Zobel.
Ambulances and fire trucks will be stationed on Angono and F. Zobel streets while the command post will be located on Angono Street only. The other closed sections will be used as holding areas for evacuees from the different offices and buildings in the city hall compound.
Part of the drill includes simulating the collapse of the Guadalupe Bridge and the Guadalupe MRT Station, which necessitates the closure of the northbound bus lane of EDSA (Guadalupe Bridge section only) from 6AM to 12NN.
The vehicular traffic on the remaining lanes of the northbound and southbound section of the Guadalupe Bridge will come to a complete stop at the sound of the siren, which signals the start of the earthquake drill), for a full minute at 9:02AM until 9:03AM. After that, the southbound lane proceeds as per usual while the northbound lane traffic will shift will outside the bus lane on Guadalupe Bridge.
Ambulances and the rubber boat that will simulate the rescue on Pasig River will be stationed on the East Cloverleaf northbound lane, which means that this road will be closed to traffic from 6AM to 12NN. The southbound lane will remain open.
Motorists headed to EDSA eastbound from J.P. Rizal are advised to turn right on San Jose Street, right on Burgos Street and right on EDSA. Another option is turning right on Lawton Avenue, right at Kalayaan Street before turning right to EDSA.
Vehicles westbound to EDSA from J.P. Rizal may take a left to Lawton Avenue, right on Kalayaan towards EDSA. PUJs from FTI and Market-Market must take Kalayaan Avenue towards their destination.